MEATBALLS AND TORTELLINI BITES
An Italian classic or a new invention? This recipe is incredibly flexible and impressive on an appetizer spread (or a waiter’s tray). Feel free to experiment with different tortellini or substitute marinated mushrooms or a flavorful pitted black olive in place of the sun-dried tomato for a slightly different flavor.
- 10 Casa Meatballs (you may want more, these go fast!)
- Half bag/box of cheese tortellini of your choice, cooked per package instructions (20 total tortellini cooked or more, you’ll need one tortellini per bite)
- ¼ cup jarred sun-dried tomato slices in marinade, sliced (reserve some of the tomato marinade)
- Pearl-sized mozzarella balls (one per bite)
- Fresh basil leaves
- Festive toothpicks
- Prepare meatballs according to package instructions. Cut in half.
- Pour roughly ½ cup of sun-dried tomato marinade into a medium-sized bowl.
- Prepare tortellini per package instructions. Once cooked, drain thoroughly. While the pasta is still hot, toss with sun-dried tomato marinade. Pull tortellini out and set aside.
- Toss mozzarella pearls in remaining marinade.
- Begin constructing your bites. Basil leaf, one half of a sun-dried tomato slice, one mozzarella pearl, one tortellini, second half of a sun-dried tomato slice, then halved meatball on the bottom.
- Arrange on a festive plate and enjoy!