MEATBALLS WITH MUSHROOM CREAM SAUCE & PAPPARDELLE (MEATBALL RAGÚ)
Creamy pasta pairs beautifully with our meatballs, but the true beauty of this recipe is its adaptability. Let’s explore our options…
- 1 lb pappardelle pasta
- 12 Casa Meatballs, prepared per package instructions (or more if you’re feeling it)
- Small bag of dried porcini mushrooms (alternatively, 2 cups of beef broth)
- 1.5 lbs of mixed mushrooms (white button, shitaki, oyster all work fine)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp chopped thyme
- 1 Tbsp plain flour
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup brandy, red or white wine (optional, but very highly recommended)
- 1⁄3 cup thickened cream
- 1⁄2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese,
- Chopped parsley, to garnish
- Prepare meatballs according to package directions. Set aside.
- Begin by placing dried porcini into a large heatproof bowl. Pour 2 cups of boiling water into bowl and allow to sit for 20-30 minutes or until mushrooms are softened. Remove mushrooms from the broth, careful to leave any silt at the bottom of the bowl. Pour the mushroom liquid through a fine strainer into a bowl, removing any particulate. Reserve the remaining mushroom liquid.
- Slice your mushrooms. Mince the shallots, garlic, and thyme.
- Heat a large skillet on medium low. Add oil to pan. Cook garlic, shallots, and thyme for 3-4 minutes or until shallots are softened.
- Add porcini and mixed mushrooms to pan. Increase heat to medium-high and cook for 8-10 minutes or until soft and golden. Sprinkle in flour and stir to combine. Stir until no raw flour is visible in the pan.
- Add tomato paste and brandy or wine. Stir to combine. Add reserved mushroom soaking liquid. and meatballs. Bring to a boil, then reduce to low and simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened and meatballs are warmed through.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Cook pasta according to package instructions, or until al dente, then drain.
- Stir cream into mushroom ragu, and cook for a further 3-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve mushroom ragu and meatballs over pasta.
- Garnish with parmesan cheese and parsley.